Câmara Municipal de Vila Nova de Famalicão , Culture

 
 
 

Culture

 
 

House-Museum of Camilo

 
Constructed at the beginning of the 19th century by Manuel Pinheiro Alves, a Brazilian traveller. After his death in 1863, Camilo Castelo Branco came to settle in the mansion of Ceide with Ana Plácido later that year, and there he remained with a certain regularity. There he wrote most of his works and committed suicide on June 1, 1890.

Here you can find furniture that belonged to Camilo Castelo Branco and the nuclear family. The Camilo House Museum can be visited from Tuesday to Friday, from 10:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. and on Saturdays and Sundays from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and from 2.30 p.m. to 5.30 p.m. Closing to the public on Mondays and holidays.
 
 
 

Casa da Música

 
Inaugurated on September 28, 2003, the House of Music of Vila Nova de Famalicão represents another bet on culture and youth, namely through the training of young musicians.
 

 

Casa das Artes

 
Cinema, Conferences, Congresses, Dance, Exhibitions, Music, Seminars, Theater. A place that is yours.
 
 
 
 
 

House Museum Soledade Malvar

 
Inaugurated on September 29, 2002, by the Mayor of the City Hall, Armindo Costa, the Soledade Malvar House Museum, in addition to the permanent exhibition of the works of art by Maria da Soledade Ramos Malvar Osório, also has a gallery for hosting temporary exhibitions.
 
 
 

Camilo Study Center

 
In order to stimulate the didactic and pedagogical action of Casa de Camilo and to render the vast patrimony of the institution, in the fields of bibliography, handwritten documentation, much of it autographed, iconography and plastic arts, promoted the Municipality of Famalicão the construction of a vast building that comprises an auditorium, reading and temporary exhibition rooms, work offices, reservations and cafeteria, among other spaces, in a large and beautiful set designed by the Architect Álvaro Siza Vieira.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Museum Bernardino Machado

 
In 1983 the idea of creating a Municipal Museum was born for the first time in honor of Bernardino Machado.
In 1995, the "Mostra Nacional Bernardino Machado" results in an awareness that the existence of estates, allied to a great motivation, justify the creation of a museum entirely dedicated to this personality.
 
 
 

Railway Museum

 
The chronologically organized exhibition of rolling stock aims to show trains of various types.
The material constructed between 1875 and 1965 comes from eight companies and was acquired in six countries from fifteen manufacturers.
The Lousado Railroad Museum occupies the entirety of the original workshop complex of the "Companhia dos Caminhos de Ferro de Guimarães" (1883/1927) with approximately 1400 m2.
 
 
 
 
 

Museum of the Colonial War

 
The Colonial War Museum began drawing during the 1989/90 school year, when thirty students from various parishes in the municipalities of Vila Nova de Famalicão, Barcelos and Braga participated in a joint pedagogical-didactic project that they called the "Colonial War , A story to tell. "
Through the methodology of the story orally, the students collected the spoils of fighters from their areas of residence.
 
 
 

Museum of Ceramics

 
Here at the Museum of Ceramics of the Castro Alves Foundation, hundreds of pieces are assembled and exhibited at the Ceramics School, which testify to the evolution and creativity of the School / Ceramics Workshop, since its creation on June 10, 1979.
 
 
 
 
 
 

Textile Industry Museum

 
 
Founded in 1987, the Bacia do Ave Textile Industry Museum is born as a research project in industrial archeology, with the aim of studying the process of industrialization in this region and contributing to the preservation of its industrial heritage.
 
 
 
The Museum organizes various activities, such as guided tours, regular edition of publications (exhibition catalogs, a newsletter, the magazine Arqueologia Industrial, published since 1987 and currently the only scientific journal published in Portugal), exhibitions, conservation and restoration of equipment and machinery of archaeological-industrial interest, collection and preservation of historical documentation, seminars, conferences and courses on industrial heritage, also having an educational service, a documentation center and specialized library, a store for sale publications, etc.